The earthquake damaged the building of the oldest Banovina pharmacy in Petrinja

U potresu stradala zgrada najstarije banovinske ljekarne u Petrinji

The earthquake damaged the building of the oldest Banovina pharmacy in Petrinja

U potresu stradala zgrada najstarije banovinske ljekarne u Petrinji

In the pictures: a postcard of Petrinja from the 1920s with an old pharmacy; recent photographs of the building that housed the old Petrinja pharmacy, before and after the earthquake

The recent earthquake with the epicenter near Petrinja caused great suffering for people and caused damage to buildings, almost irreparable on older buildings that are cultural monuments.
We sincerely sympathize with all the victims and hope, with the solidarity help that is coming, that life will soon return to the wounded areas of our homeland.

We note with great regret the destruction of the building in which the oldest Petrinja pharmacy operated. We enclose the photographs and recall the article that brings the results of research into its history:

Alujević D, Fatović-Ferenčić S. Pharmacy K crnom orlu in Petrinja – the first civilian pharmacy in Banska Krajina. Acta medico-historica Adriatica [Internet]. 2017 [accessed 01.01.2021]; 15 (1): 9-30. Available at: https://hrcak.srce.hr/184010

Abstract

Pharmacy K crnom orlu in Petrinja was founded in 1772 as a branch office of the eponymous Karlovac pharmacy and was the oldest civilian pharmacy in the area of ​​Banska Krajina. Based on archival sources, media at the time and available documentation from the family legacy, the paper presents its historiography and the sequence of ownership. Special attention is paid to the Panac pharmacy family, which ran this pharmacy for four generations in the period from 1822 to 1950. The results of this research shed light on doubts about its original location, and in addition to the ownership of the pharmacy, data on the owners’ education, the way they operate and the wider socio-cultural impact on the environment in which they lived were investigated and presented. The space of the former pharmacy is not preserved in its function today, nor is its inventory preserved, although the building in which it was once located has been preserved and protected as a cultural asset. The pharmacy was nationalized in 1947 and then relocated to another location in the late 1950s. This more reconstruction of her historiography contributes to the knowledge not only of the development of pharmacy in this area but also of the development of the city through the emergence and presence of health institutions and care in its area.

Pharmacies were also victims after World War II – many were devastated during nationalization. But history is written and created by people. It will continue to be written and take away the oblivion of a bright page in the history of our pharmacy, as was done for today’s wounded and destroyed Petrinja.

Share on Social Networks:
error: Sadržaj je zaštićen!